Sunday, May 8, 2011

Levites.

Suddenly feeling like a Levite.

Just then a religion scholar stood up with a question to test Jesus. "Teacher, what do I need to do to get eternal life?" He answered, "What's written in God's Law? How do you interpret it?" He said, "That you love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and muscle and intelligence—and that you love your neighbor as well as you do yourself." "Good answer!" said Jesus. "Do it and you'll live." Looking for a loophole, he asked, "And just how would you define 'neighbor'?" Jesus answered by telling a story. "There was once a man traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. On the way he was attacked by robbers. They took his clothes, beat him up, and went off leaving him half-dead. Luckily, a priest was on his way down the same road, but when he saw him he angled across to the other side. Then a Levite religious man showed up; he also avoided the injured man.

"A Samaritan traveling the road came on him. When he saw the man's condition, his heart went out to him. He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds. Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, 'Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill—I'll pay you on my way back.'

"What do you think? Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?" "The one who treated him kindly," the religion scholar responded. Jesus said, "Go and do the same."

I am feeling so convicted right now. I was driving to church tonight, and I saw an older woman walking on the side of the road with her thumb out, needing a ride. My heart said "Help her." but my mind convinced of me driving past her with all the fear and situations that I am always told will happen. And now I am wrestling myself with my choice of driving past her, feeling like a Levite. My heart breaks for her and people like her who have no choice but to walk in the Texas heat while I am driving in my air-conditioned, mess-of-a car that has survived several fights with other cars. I feel blessed, yet broken.

I feel torn between being a Levite or a Samaritan. Levites, easily compared to the Christians of today, are both groups who are stuck in the safe realm of religion. I mentioned my story today to someone at my church and they told me, "Heather, better safe than sorry!" Is it really better to be safe than sorry? To leave the poor, helpless, stranded people like the Levite did? Wasn't the point of this parable to teach us to be like the good Samaritan? I'm pretty sure this is the story that started the W.W.J.D fad. Yes, the Lord has given us beautiful spiritual gifts and our precious breaths for a reason, but if I am called to step out of a safe-zone to pursue the divine will of my God and do not listen, then my human desires and fears are not following in servanthood and discipleship.

Why are missionaries the only ones who get the right to risk their lives in other, remote countries for the glory of the Lord? Aren't we all supposed to be radical missionaries at the exact location that God has us at this very moment in our lives? It just doesn't seem fair to me that I am overwhelmed with fear of taking a risk of helping someone. If I do not help those in need, who will?

Christians: please stop being scared. I am so sure of the power of our Lord to guide and protect us that we shouldn't be scared of taking risks. We can NOT become content with being safe. The Church has gotten so comfortable in following the man-made rules of religion that comfort has taken over conviction. If we can't take risks in our community, where we will get the strength to do so in places much worse? Alright "Levites", you can check off your list donating canned foods and giving money to the Lottie Moon offering. Risky, I know, some Christians might even dare say...radical. Y'all must be reading some David Platt.

"If I lose my life, don't I gain everything?"

1 comment:

  1. We've got too many voices echoing around inside our head it's often hard to hear His voice over the din! It's moments like you described to jolt us into awareness and realize how often the voice of fear dominates our choices. Great post.

    ReplyDelete